United States Medical Licensing ExaminationUSMLE stands for The United States Medical Licensing Examination which is not just a kind of test – it’s much more. Apart from you examining your knowledge this exam called USMLE is all about a thoroughly assesses that what is all about the skills, values, and attitudes to real life, patient-centered scenarios. The saying would not wrong that this exam let know many things about the aspirant.
USMLE is quite different from the general exam as it also let the expert know about that how you will do your job, both on and off the table. And that is why you need to be a bit expert while trying for it. To put in simple words, all doctors need to get cleared the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) in US.
USMLE is operated by two organizations Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME).
What About The Vital Facts about USMLEUSMLE is the toughest 3 steps exam program for those who want to practice medicine in US.The student have to appear for 1&2nd step exam in the medical school while the 3rd step exam have to be appeared after completing graduation. The USMLE exams, holds Step 1, which is also considered as “The Boards.”
3 Major Ways Where USMLEScored Are Used.1. Most US medical schools specifies the students to clear Step 1 to be a graduation and some wants the students to pass Step 2/Clinical Knowledge (CK) and you also need to clear Step2/Clinical Skills (CS) if you are one of the looking for the your degree. Without this you will not be able to get your degree. 2. For residency training positions in the U.S, the assessment of medical students is done on the basis of scores attained by them in the first two steps (Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.
3. It’s mandatory to pass Step 3 (last step) to get admitted into U.S.-based specialty boards, such as the American Board of Internal Medicine.Passed out students shall be selected by state medical boards that license doctors to practice in their specialty.
Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS exams can be given any student who is studying or has graduated from any of the following:-
- U.S. or Canadian allopathic medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), leading to an M.D. degree. If you are interested in this then go ahead.
- U.S. or Canadian osteopathic medical school is authorized by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), leading to a D.O. degree. Most students love to get into this.
- Medical schools outside the U.S. or Canada that are listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and that meet Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) criteria
Step 3 may be appeared by any of the following:-
The graduates who have passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS from an accredited U.S. or Canadian allopathic or osteopathic medical school.
The graduates who have passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS from medical school outside the U.S. or Canada will be listed in IMED who have obtained certification by the ECFMG.
Overview of each USMLE Step:-
A. Step 1:- Here, we are going to tell more about the USMLE procedure step 1. It has been explored below in a discreet manner.
- Through this exam the ability ofapplying basicscience concepts to medical practice is evaluated. It means you need to be good at these subjects. For this, you need to keep increasing your knowledge without getting confused at all.
- The student can appear for this exam after the first two years of medical school. Keep this thing in mind otherwise you would be not allowed to give exam.
- The duration of the exam is 8 hours and it requires to get prepared for this.
- This exam comprises of 325 multiple-choice questions and you need to solve them in stipulated time to get cleared this exam.
- This exam is conducted online through Prometric test sites internationally. It means you are allowed to give it online.
B, I.Step 2 CK (Clinical Knowledge):-
- This exam can depict the ability of the student to apply their science knowledge in a supervised patient care setting.
- The student can appear for this exam during the clinical years — that is, the third and fourth years of medical school.
- The duration of the exam is 9 hours.
- This exam comprises of 350 multiple-choice questions.
- This exam is conducted online through Prometric test sites internationally.
B, II. Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills)
- Through this examthe students are made to deal with people who act like patients.
- The student can appear for this exam in the fourth year of medical school
- The duration of the exam is 8 hours.
- The format of the exam is attending 12 patients. The duration is 15 minutes for the patient encounter and 10 minutes to record notes for each patient.
- This exam is conducted in Five test centers which are Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia
C. Step 3
- The ability of the student to apply clinical science to patients in an unsupervised patient care setting is tested through the last step.
- This exam is conducted during the residency training in medicals school.
- The duration of the exam is for 2 days and you need to do great preparation for it.
Day 1- Foundations in Independent Practice (FIP)
- The students conceptual knowledge about the scientific principles required for effective medical care are evaluated.
- The duration of the exam will be 7 hours.
- This exam comprises of 260 multiple-choice questions.
Day 2 – Advanced Clinical Medicine (ACM)
- Through this exam the conceptual knowledge of applying the medical knowledge to patient management and evolving disease processes is tested.
- The duration of the exam will be 9 hours and you should be ready for it.
- This exam comprises of 200 multiple-choice questions, 13 computer-based clinical simulations
- This exam is conducted online which is Administered at Prometric test sites in U.S. and U.S. territories
Registration Guidelines:-Let’s check it out more about the registration guidelines. To keep you away from the confusion, everything has been explored here in a discreet manner. Take a look.
Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS:-
1. What you need to do is you have to head the official NBME website. Generally, it is logged in by U.S. or Canadian M.D. or D.O. students/graduates for registration.
2. The ECFMG website should be logged in by Non- U.S medical students/graduates for registration.
Step 3 Registration:-
Yes!!!, if you have been looking to get into this university, you need to head this official website. Here, you can get the required information of the graduates from any medical college who have passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS can register. The best thing is that this website is keep updated and students can get the best information from here without getting confused.
The scores for Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 examinations are available 3-4 weeks after the exam have been conducted. They are being mentioned here
Minimum passing scores for 2017 are:
- Step 1: 192/300
- Step 2 CK: 209/300
- Step 3: 190/300